Startseite Forums idx general support (Word) New source document or multi-file approach?

Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)
  • Autor
    Teilnehmer

Client needs an edited volume indexed, but there’s a delay to the availability of the first chapter.
    I’ve not had to substantially change the source document or work with multiple Word files in Idx before, so apologies if this is an obtuse question:
    I feel reasonably sure that the answer to „Is there a way to add the first chapter late in the indexing process?“ ought to be „Yes“… but would really welcome a) reassurance on that and b) clarification of the best way to deal with it. I’ve downloaded Janice and Jan’s „Creating a single index from multiple Word documents“ guide, which might be what I need. But the client won’t need separate Word files back from me. Would I simply be able to do some re-naming and replace the shorter original source document with a longer one including the first chapter when I get it?
    Thanks for any help.

indexmanager

In the Welcome dialog, file window, you start your new project by selecting and importing the chapter file(s) already existing for the project via the File Explorer. After import in the project list the project is displayed with the number of files in brackets. If you get the first chapter later, click on the + button in the file window during the next import and add the file via the File Explorer. In the project list a new project is displayed, in brackets the new number. In Index-Manager per default the first loaded chapter-file is diplayeed in the text window. Open the structure window and select the other chapter(s) via one click on the chapter headings. In the text window you will find new tabs, which allow you to jump. The index preview combines the total index of all loaded files. During export, the index entries are inserted into their respective different files and can be sent to the client.
    Hope this answer your question, if not let me know.

indexmanager

sorry, again to your question, you get the first chapter not as a separate file but a new larger file. Chapter one is added and the rest is unchanged. Then I would export the old version once and copy the first chapter into it. Otherwise you would actually have to go the way via replace source file. But you could ask him, if he can send it as separate file, then you don’t have to care and you can load it in Index-Manager as described, together with the other document.

philippaj
    Teilnehmer

Thanks so much, yes, both of those make sense, and that gives me confidence to assure the client that it’s doable and make a start on the available manuscript.

Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.