Startseite Forums idx general support Why do some headings in the Structure have question marks before them?

Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)
  • Autor
    Teilnehmer

I’ve been experimenting with creating some test files in Word and using Word’s ‚Style‘ features to create structure in the text.

When I import the document into Index-Manager, the document structure appears in the Structure window, but most of the headings are preceded by a ‚?‘. (However, a few headings do not have this.) I cannot identify any difference between those headings which are queried and those which are not. Does anyone know why this is happening and/or what it means?

Also, a few headings appear very pale – as if they are ‚greyed out‘ – though they seem to function OK. Does anyone know what’s happening here?

This is not an urgent query, but I am curious.

With best wishes,
    Wendy

Wendy Baskett
    Teilnehmer

As a follow up to this, I’ve now discovered that the headings which are ‚greyed out‘ in the structure window, although they appear normal in the Text window, cannot be selected to form index entries. Strange!

Best wishes,
    Wendy

indexmanager

Hi, Index Manager is XML-based. It loads XML data from a document and generates the view from it using an HTML stylesheet. In Word, some of the normal heading styles are standardized. These have been adopted for the view in IDX. The rest is marked with „?“ in the structure window. These headings are displayed in the full text window and can also be selected there for index entries.
    In InDesign, most headings are defined individually, with almost all headings preceded by „?“ in the structure window. Hope this answers your question.

Wendy Baskett
    Teilnehmer

Thank you – that is helpful to know.

It doesn’t really explain why some headings are affected and others not, when they have all been created the same way in the Word file (for example, by selecting text and applying ‚Heading 2‘ from the Styles group on the tool bar.) Is there something odd going on in Word itself?

I’m interested in the relationship between styles in Word and Structure in Index-Manager because the last project I had was beautifully styled in Word, with a clear structure in the navigation panel of the document, but in Index-Manager it had no structure at all – or at least, the whole book was in a single section. This wasn’t helpful for navigation! So it started me wondering about whether I could apply styles myself that would be recognized in Index-Manager.

The structure window is a really useful feature of Index-Manager, so I’m keen to find ways to make it work for me.

With best wishes,
    Wendy

Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.